So yesterday was orientation day 2. We went into more detail about pesticide use and protocols, as well as brush cutter use. I got to test out the brush cutter too, which was pretty cool, although we didn't actually cut anything. We also talked a lot about Leave No Trace and what it means for us and camping. It was interesting stuff which covered things like staying on a trail (to prevent widening the trail), and setting up camps in back country areas (spreading the tents out to avoid creating new "camp sites"). We were also issued our own tents, which we are free to use whenever we want during our time here. Mine had some zipper issues, but they were fixed! My cooperating teachers, Mr. Wensel & Mr. Noonan, and student teacher supervisor, Mrs. Sandstrom, will all be happy to hear that I am already coming up with ideas about ways I can incorporate Leave No Trace concepts into a PE lesson!
I didn't do much last night besides hang out and watch some VHS tapes (yes, we have a large collection of VHS movies and a working VCR). I did go to the store with this French girl, Ana (she's been very interesting to talk to!). We went to an all natural grocery store (think Trader Joes x10). You could actually grind your own almond and peanut butter! So that was exciting.
Today I went out with a group of other volunteers and we went to hike at Buffalo Park, which is fairly close to the house I'm at. The park has a lot of trails that lead up to the mountain. We had a great hike and it was beautiful! Hopefully I get the camera cord soon (I'm looking at your mom ;)), so I can upload some of the best pictures. We didn't make it all the way up the mountain (its a loooong way!) but we were hiking for a good 2 hours. Some of us decided to turn around because we were running out of water and getting a little tired, but a group of guys kept going. They had cameras also, so if I see that they took any awesome pictures I'll be sure to upload those as well!
Tonight I basically finished packing for my first trip tomorrow. I'll be going to Coronado National Forest to do some trail work. This is the description- "The Old Sawmill Trail is short hiking trail in the Sierra Vista Ranger District of Coronado National Forest. The crew will have two objectives in their week long project. The first is to construct erosion control structures, including check steps and water bars, and repairing damaged tread. The second is to brush the corridor of the trail to ensure that it is accessible to both hikers and horseback riders. The team will be camping at the Reef Townsite campground, which has limited facilities, and no running water. Be ready for warm days, with cooler nights."
Here's a link for the park itself:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Coronado
I'll be there from Wednesday to Wednesday, working about 8 hour days (starting at 7:00 am). Again, a little nervous to start, but there's no turning back now!
See you in a week!
Can't wait to hear how your first trip out goes!
ReplyDelete